Hyperbaric oxygen therapy and fibromyalgia go hand in hand. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is one of the latest treatments for fibromyalgia, and some people even think it may be the most effective treatment for fibromyalgia. Read on to learn more about hyperbaric oxygen therapy and its role in the lives of those with fibromyalgia.
What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a type of therapy used to treat uncomfortable side effects of fibromyalgia. Hyperbolic Oxygen Therapy uses pressurized oxygen that is administered in an oxygen chamber.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy isn't just used to treat fibromyalgia, it’s also used to treat side effects of a variety of other conditions as well such as Lyme disease, smoke inhalation, amputation, and head injuries.
How Does Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Work?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a fairly simple process that all circles around pure oxygen. It lasts about an hour to an hour and a half. Usually, a person will breathe in air that is not pure oxygen. Rather, it is composed of a mixture of oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon monoxide.
But while a person is participating in Hyperbaric oxygen therapy, they receive 100% pure oxygen. And not only is the patient receiving 100% pure oxygen, but they are also receiving it at twice the level they would usually receive it at.
So the patient receives this oxygen, at two times the level they usually would for sixty to ninety minutes, and then the treatment is over. That’s it, so simple!
What Can Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Do For Fibromyalgia?
So what can Hyperbaric oxygen therapy do for patients with fibromyalgia? Here are a few ways that it helps the patient and their pain-
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps the creation of new blood vessels
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps encourage the white blood cells, which helps the body fight infections
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps cut down on inflammation and swelling
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps curb the advancement of bacteria
All of these things have the ability to drastically improve the lives of patients with fibromyalgia.
Benefits of Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment
Many practical benefits come from hyperbaric oxygen treatment including-
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment may lessen pain, specifically the number of tender points, in patients with fibromyalgia.
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment may aid in brain health in fibromyalgia. ...
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment may diminish inflammation that patients consistently deal with.
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment may help repair damage done to muscles and muscle tissue.
These benefits differ depending on the individual patient, but many patients have reported several of these benefits after sessions of hyperbaric oxygen treatment.
So why are patients with fibromyalgia such great candidates for this treatment? Mostly because those with fibromyalgia suffer from painful side effects such as-
- Skin irritation
- Leg spasms/ pain
- Body aches
- Muscle soreness
- Fatigue in muscles
Because Hyperbaric oxygen treatment is specifically helpful with pain, this makes fibromyalgia patients great candidates for this treatment.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a simple therapy used to treat several types of disorders. It has several benefits for patients with fibromyalgia, including pain reduction, and swelling reduction. It also may help stimulate brain health.